Crafting Words - Anna Jacobson - Memoir Through Poetry
1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Tickets available until 26 July 2020 11:00 AM
This workshop commences at 1.00pm.
NOTE: In registering for this event you need to include your email address. We email the Zoom event link and password to you on the morning of the event. If you have not received this information prior to the event please check your SPAM folder. In registering for this event you do need to include your email address.
Join Anna Jacobson as we explore using our memories as a springboard for writing poetry.
This poetry workshop will be mixture of a talk from Anna about her experience of writing memoir poetry, a poetry reading from her collection Amnesia Findings, poetry exercises and prompts, and Anna will leave time to answer all questions poetry.
This workshop will focus on:
- The dark and light of memoir poetry.
- Memory (and gaps in memory) and how poetry is the perfect form to express these short vignettes.
- Our poetry journeys and how we came to poetry or how poetry found us.
- Storytelling through poetry and snapshots we can use from our lives to inspire poems.
- Reclaiming a sense of agency for our stories through poetry by working through ideas and experiences we want to understand further.
- Using simple language and vivid imagery in poetry to evoke strong emotional responses.
Anna Jacobson is a poet and artist from Brisbane. Her debut poetry collection Amnesia Findings (UQP, 2019) won the Thomas Shapcott Poetry Prize. Her writing has been published in literary journals including Griffith Review, Chicago Quarterly Review, Meanjin, Rabbit, Cordite, and more. Anna won the 2018 Queensland Premier’s Young Publishers and Writers Award. She is currently undertaking a PhD in memoir and creative nonfiction at Queensland University of Technology. www.annajacobson.com.au