Awarded for the best published literary work in the English language, written by an author aged 39 or under, the prize is named after the Swansea-born writer, Dylan Thomas, and celebrates his 39 years of creativity and productivity. One of the most influential, internationally-renowned writers of the mid-twentieth century, the prize invokes his memory to support the writers of today and nurture the talents of tomorrow.
This year’s longlist of 12 books comprises: eight novels, two short story collections, and two volumes of poetry.
* Stay With Me by Ayọ̀bámi Adébáyọ̀
* Kumukanda by Kayo Chingonyi
* When I Hit You by Meena Kandasamy
* The Blood Miracles by Lisa McInerney
* Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
* Elmet by Fiona Mozley
* First Love by Gwendoline Riley
* Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney
* Idaho by Emily Ruskovich
* My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent
* Attrib. and Other Stories by Eley Williams
* On Trust: A Book of Lies by James Womack